Sunday, August 28, 2011

Nobody Greater than God!

This was the scene outside my apartment today. After loading up the car and turning it on, Nobody Greater by Vashawn Mitchell was playing on the radio and all I could do was thank God that I weathered the storm! God is truly amazing and I'm thankful that Irene didn't cause more destruction.

I lost power about 4pm on Saturday but the worst of it still hadn't come through Central VA yet. At around 3 am 80% of residents were without power in the Richmond area. That number is steadily declining. But we will be cleaning up for weeks. Teachers in the area are suppose to report back to work tomorrow, I have yet to hear any information on that though.

I packed up my car and headed north on 95 until I reached my sister's house in Caroline County, it doesn't even look like a storm has been through here. I had to leave my apartment... didn't know if I could actually survive on Peanut Butter & Jelly and Chips and Salsa like I had planned. So I'm currently comfortable in the guest room with my laptop, air conditioning and cable. I don't have cell phone service though, but that's the least of my worries!

12 comments:

  1. Wow! I've never seen a sidewalk that has been lifted up! It looks like a giant came through the neighborhood.

    Halleluia, you are safe. :-)
    ReadWriteSing

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad that you are safe. I have been watching the Weather Channel and praying that people will do what you just described and go to another location if they are in the path of this storm. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you are ok!!! I can't believe that tree!
    Kristen

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad that you made it through the storm ok. I'm in Short Pump, and lost power yesterday for about 5 hours, but came back on around 6pm and its been wonderful. Still no word on any of the schools in metro-Richmond yet.

    Debbie
    http://teachingmaketheworld.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. No one is greater than God. Praise Him, for keeping you safe!
    Cecelia

    ReplyDelete
  6. So... I will not be reporting to work tomorrow. Kinda sad though, this is not the way I wanted to begin a new year at a new school with a new grade. Word is that only 17 of the 62 schools in our county actually have electricity, wow!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so happy to hear you are ok. I've been watching all the news coverage. I live in Florida so we're more than used to hurricanes, nevertheless, they are still scary.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Shai, just so you know, when we had Floyd come through our county, our school didn't resume until every school in the county was in working condition. That took 2 weeks! Then we had to make up those 10 days which meant no professional development days, and we worked up to the day before Christmas and the day before Thanksgiving. So consider it an extra vacation week and relax as much as you can.

    Frontier2ndgrade@att.net

    ReplyDelete
  9. I live in Richmond as well and this is my third day without power. We are in the same boat. We were very blessed because it couldve been a lot worse.

    Hope we get back to work soon.

    2ndgradestars.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am so glad that you weathered the storm. God is truly amazing!!! Sincerely, Crystal
    http://msjones-jungle.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello! I listed you as a top 10 blog. You can check my post out at http://swimmingintosecond.blogspot.com/2011/09/top-ten-blogs.html
    Thanks for all that you share!
    You can get your award at http://bit.ly/rtHPbL

    Also, I'm glad you came out of the storm OK. Your pictures are amazing. It's really hard to believe what can happen during a storm.

    ReplyDelete