Friday, March 22, 2013

Number Sense in 3rd Grade


There has been a huge push for students to increase their "reasoning with numbers" in my school district. We had to administer a Number Sense Assessment in September and we will administer it again in May.

In my building teachers were then required to develop a professional goal around this data. My goal is for my students to increase their scores by 30%.

I then had to list strategies I would take to help my students reach their goals.

1- Read Number Talks by Sherry Parrish

2- Develop monthly Number Sense Quick Checks

The Number Talks book is great! It also came with a DVD of actual classroom number talks, K-5. That's been very helpful.

Then I created my monthly quick checks. I used questions that were similar to our county assessment. Then I googled "number sense assessment" and found some other question stems to include.




Clicking on the samples takes you to my Google Docs Drive for you to download.

So you think you can use these in your classroom?

What number sense routines do you use with your students?

4 comments:

  1. We are just getting started down this data road (as far as testing the beginning then at the end). I REALLY appreciate you sharing. I wasn't sure how to start this process. THANKS SO MUCH!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can you explain how the number puzzle works on Number Sense Check #2? I have not seen those before.

    Thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Envision a hundred chart... so they have the find 1 more/1 less and 10 more/10 less.

      Delete
  3. thanks a lot, really need something like this.

    ReplyDelete