Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Geography Lapbook

My Goddaughter just finished her 3rd grade year. In VA 3rd graders take standardized tests in every subject and in Science and Social Studies they are tested on the standards from K to 3. Her mom, who's also a teacher, saved all her 2nd & 3rd grade lapbooks for me since I teach 3rd grade. At her school 3rd graders have to bring in 22 manila folders and they make lapbooks for each science and social studies standard. 2nd grade teachers save them and send them up to 3rd so they'll have them the next year.

They look like a great study tool for the big standardized tests at the end of the year. I'm not sure I would do this for every standard, but I'm thinking students could make them for the K-2 standards that they're suppose to remember for the test. I'm thinking of having my students create them for Geography, American Indians, Egypt, China, Famous Americans, Magnets and Weather/Water.

I've already completed my first example: Geography

Cover of 3rd Grade Atlas Lapbook (yes I see the mistake!)
Left: Classroom Map - Right: Comparing and Contrasting Maps and Globes
Left: Virginia Map Skills - Right: United States Geography
Left: Native American Regions - Right: World Geography
Egypt and China
Left: Hemispheres - Vocabulary (you lift the flap to see definition)

 



Do you do lapbooking in your class? Are there any websites you use to get the materials?

3 comments:

  1. This looks really great! I've used lapbooks in the past in science... I haven't used any since I moved to 3rd but now I'm thinking about ways to use them for language arts!

    :)
    Christina
    *Bunting, Books, and Bainbridge*

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm loving your lapbooks!!!! We do interactive notebooks for Social Studies/Science - the concept seems similar; but this would be a great way to incorporate review of the 2nd grade concepts before SOL time :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I found your blog while searching for an Egypt lapbook. You have a very nice site, and I can tell you love teaching! Thanks for the google docs you have posted, I may use them in the future with my kids. Keep up the good work and best wishes!

    ReplyDelete