Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Weslandia Brochure Project

Amazon.com

Now that school is over, Wesley needs a summer project. He’s learned that each civilization needs a staple food crop, so he decides to sow a garden and start his own - civilization, that is. He turns over a plot of earth, and plants begin to grow. They soon tower above him and bear a curious-looking fruit. As Wesley experiments, he finds that the plant will provide food, clothing, shelter, and even recreation. It isn’t long before his neighbors and classmates develop more than an idle curiosity about Wesley - and exactly how he is spending his summer vacation.

I use this book to introduce my unit on Ancient Civilizations. We teach about Ancient Greece, Ancient Rome and the Empire of Mali. After I read the book I introduce the project and give students time to brainstorm ideas for their civilization. Then I give each student a 12x18 inch sheet of white construction paper and students fold it into a large brochure. The project consists of students creating a brochure about the civilization that they created. Click on the picture below to download the project with rubric.


Weslandia

Do you teach Ancient Civilizations? If so what activities do you do? I also do this project specific to Greece/Rome/Mali from my website.  

6 comments:

  1. Hi Jessica, Just out of the blue, you came to my mind. So I've been checking out you new postings. Such great stuff!! I'm going to pass along your native American lapbook idea to our second grade teachers. You have always been a great inspiration to me from way back when I used to follow you on second grade clubhouse. I'm sorry you have been having a rough year. I've been there sister! There are many times that I need to just stop myself and look above the clutter of his job and remind myself for Whom I teach. Give yourself time to rest in HIs presence. Thanks for all you do and share!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your words of encouragement! This has been the most challenging year of my career and I thank God daily because if it wasn't for him, I think I'd have walked away months ago!

      Delete
  2. Hi Jessica! I found you through Caffeine and Lesson Plans 3rd grade blog link up! I referred my team to this book for 3rd grade social studies on ancient civs and he said it worked perfectly! I also love your Native American lap book idea (although it's a fourth grade standard here- I always try to prepare them a bit) Glad I found your blog and can follow you now! Have a great start to 2014!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for the great layout and criteria!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete