Sunday, April 13, 2014

K12 Reader Website

     Well today's the beginning of my Spring Break! After that only 8 more weeks of school until summer vacation. I've spent the weekend shopping, eating and sleeping but also working on some projects. I'm planning for summer school and also next year. I'm assuming I'll be teaching 3rd grade at my current school but I did put in for a transfer (looking for a school closer to home and on the early schedule) and we are getting an entire new administration at my current school. Our principal is retiring, our assistant principal will be principal at another school and our administrative assistant(we have one because our school has over 1,000 students!) will not be returning.

     Are you familiar with K12 Reader? Well it's a free website with wonderful resources. My favorite is the reading passages for each grade level (scroll down and look in the left side bar to see the different grade levels). I think I'm going to make them into an interactive notebook form for next school year. I was playing around with how that would look.


     Students could cut the passage out and glue it on the left side of their notebook. They would then cut out the question template and glue that on the right side. I'm envisioning them writing their answer under the flap and then going back into the passage and highlighting evidence to support their answer in the correlating color.

     I've been doing this already with my 4th grade reading remediation group. I enlarged the passage and questions to 120% when copying and I had them glue passage on the left and the questions on the right. I had them highlight each question with a different color and then the evidence from the text. I've included examples from my notebook below.



 
What do you think of the idea? Do you do something similar in your classroom?

10 comments:

  1. Love your idea!! Love that website too! Thanks for sharing~

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is an awesome idea!!! I hope you make it available when you are done. I also love the K12 Reader website. I hope you have a blessed spring break and get some much needed rest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wasn't sure anyone would be interested but I'll set up a google doc folder and post the link soon, I'll upload them as I finish.

      Delete
  3. Wow! I just found your blog, and I'm so glad I did! I'm going to follow as soon as I post this comment. I really love this idea. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love that site and the passages. Love the format you came up with for using in a notebook too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. great idea! I love the site but your idea makes it better. I can't wait to see your work when you are done.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your format! :) I like how interactive it is with the passage. Thanks for sharing!

    http://heyheythirdgrade.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are amazing. You inspire me to try new ways and be more daring in my instructions..Susan

      Delete
  7. What a wonderful idea. Love your new twist on a great resource.

    ReplyDelete