Tuesday, April 5, 2016

Word Analysis Journal (VA Curriculum)

 As the school year winds down I begin to reflect on my teaching practices and document what I intend to do differently next year. I've decided that really want to implement a Word Analysis Journal {VA SOL English 3.3 & 3.4} next year.
The first tab/section in the book would be Word Analysis and Grammar Resources. I created some reference sheets that students can glue in the journal and refer to them all year round.
The second tab/section will be reserved for vocabulary words. My goal is to focus on two to three words a week. I created a template that students could glue in their journals or you could just have them "freestyle" the information.
The third tab/section is reserved for poetry activities. I reserved the last 40 pages in the 100 page journal for this section.
Have you heard of Doris Young of Third Grade Thinkers? She's the first Virginia Blogger I started following. She's a third grade teacher and her resources were so helpful when I moved to third grade five years ago. I love her poetry activities. She has some on her blog and in her Teachers Pay Teachers Store.  Instead of a reading passage she uses poems and the follow up questions are word-analysis related.
 
So this is my bright idea for next year, I'm hoping that this journal will give students a concrete resource to aide them in learning and reviewing these concepts. How do you teach these concepts in your classroom?
 
Click Here: Word Analysis Journal

3 comments:

  1. Wow! This is just what I need! I can't wait to implement this wonderful resource. Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the shout out on your blog, Jessica! I appreciate it. Your blog is always my go to when I need a shot of motivation. Thanks always for the sharing of your ideas!
    Doris@ thirdgradethinkers8@blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome!! I am planning to implement the Word Analysis journal next year too!!

    ReplyDelete