Image Map

Saturday, August 3, 2019

Next Step in Guided Reading: Transitional Readers

After reflecting on my first year back in 2nd grade, I realized that my guided reading instruction needs improvement. This past school year I focused on guided math and I'm feeling pretty confident about that so now is the perfect time to take a look at reading. 

I'll be sharing my takeaways from the following chapters from Jan Richardson's Next Step Forward in Guided Reading:
Chapter 5: Transitional Readers Level J-P (DRA Levels 18-38)
Chapter 7: Moving Forward with Comprehension Instruction 

This post will share my take aways from Chapter 5: The Transitional Readers (Levels J-P, DRA Levels 18-38).  
  • As with early readers, complete a word knowledge inventory and a reading conference with each child.
  • You want no more than four to five guided reading groups so you can meet with them three to five times a week. 
  • Guided Reading Materials (pg. 171)
    • leveled books
    • dry erase boards, markers, erasers
    • 6-8 sets of magnetic letters on individual trays or sorted in a box
    • analogy chart
    • guided writing journals
    • personal word wall for guided writing
    • timer
  • 3 Day Lesson Plan, 20 minutes (pg. 172)
    • Day 1- introduce new book, read book with prompting, discuss and teach
    • Day 2- read book with prompting, discuss and teach, word study activity
    • Day 3- guided writing
  • Guided writing is coached, it is not independent or assigned writing. Students complete the response at the table with your support. 
  • One question that was answered in this section was "Should I sometimes use nonfiction text with my transitional readers?" JR suggests that when you choose a nonfiction book, choose one that is at least one level below the groups current reading level due to advanced vocabulary. 
Next up, Moving Forward with Comprehension!

No comments:

Post a Comment