Image Map

Friday, July 27, 2018

4 for Friday: Growth Mindset

Just one more week to go and summer school will be finished and I can finally REST... I'm just going to pretend my principal didn't email me yesterday and tell me my room was ready whenever I wanted to come in, get unpacked and set up!

Back in June I had the honor of attending a professional development in which my good friend Adrienne was presenting how she cultivates a Growth Mindset in her first grade classroom. Which got me to thinking about what I've done and can do in my own classroom. This week I want to focus on developing a Growth Mindset in the classroom.

Growth Mindset in the Classroom

1. Learning Environment- My go to resource for teaching this is the Mindsets in the Classroom book and their Resource book. Here's what it says about the learning environment:
  • Teacher believes that all students can achieve at high levels.
  • Deliberate instruction of perseverance, resiliency, grit and persistence. 
  • Teacher feedback/praise is based on effort, process and strategies used. 
  • Students are given opportunities to safely struggle. 
  • Failure is looked at in a positive light. 
  • Grades and scores are not emphasized. 
  • Students are saying "I don't understand this yet. I'm am not going to give up. If I practice, I will get it."
  • Teacher is saying "Let's think of a new strategy. Yet. I can see the effort you have put into this. Keep Trying."
2. Parent Communication- It is very important to communicate growth mindset to parents so that they understand and support this mindset at home as well. I give out this newsletter to my parents at Back to School Night. I also cover it in my presentation. This can be downloaded for free from Teachers Pay Teachers
3. Literature- There are so many books that can be aligned to growth mindset. I like to read them during morning meeting. A few of my favorites are:

4. Activities- There are tons of resources available for teaching growth mindset, some free... some paid. Here are the links to my favorites:
Do you think you could implement any of these ideas in your classroom? Have an idea to help cultivate a growth mindset in your students? Leave a comment here or hop on over to our Facebook page and leave a comment.

No comments:

Post a Comment