Image Map

Friday, August 17, 2018

4 for Friday: Favorite BTS Read Alouds


My 4 for Friday is pretty late today... my husband and I have been vacationing at Massanutten Resort this week. Indoor Waterpark, Ziplining, Tubing, Rock Climbing, Go Karts, great food and great weather! 

Now that my vacation is over and I resort back to work in one week, it's time for me to look at lesson planning. Here are my favorite back to school read alouds.

Back to School Read Alouds

1. Do Unto Otters- This is most favorite back to school book! It's a great book about manners and the perfect book for character building. Usually we would just discuss the book but this year I took it a step further and purchased the unit from Stories by Storie. I hope to include activities from this unit this year. 

2. Jelly Donut Difference- This is a great book about spreading kindness. It's become one of my favorite books. This year I plan to read it at the beginning of the year as opposed to middle and I purchased the unit off of Stories by Storie and will include activities from there. 

3. Potato Chip Champ- This is another book about spreading kindness and even explores empathy. Last year I read this at the beginning of the year and did the potato chip craft and displayed it for Back to School Night. 


4. The Bad Seed- I just discovered this book this summer, bought it from Scholastic. 

From School Library Journal-Corn kernels, pistachios, peanuts, and other seeds gasp and point as a "baaaaaaaaaaad seed" goes by. When others mumble about him, he can hear them because he has "good hearing for a seed." The bad seed tells "long jokes with no punch lines," lies "about pointless stuff," and never puts things back where they belong. But he did not start out that way; it was only after a traumatic experience that he became "a different seed entirely." 

After I purchased it, I found a great unit that tied the book to Growth Mindset

I'd love to hear about your favorite BTS read alouds, leave a comment here or hop on over to our Facebook page and leave a comment. 

1 comment:

  1. I love all four of these books! I hope your students love all of the activities to go along with them.
    Storie

    ReplyDelete