Image Map

Sunday, April 7, 2019

Addition and Subtraction (w/wo Regrouping)

Guided Math Lesson
When I taught 2nd grade before, I absolutely loathed teaching addition and subtraction with regrouping, and to be honest... I didn't do good job of it either! However, after teaching 3rd grade for seven years, I saw just how important that foundation was for students. So when I found I was going back to 2nd grade I knew I had to get it right this time.
Guided Math Kit
In October I had the honor of attending a Guided Math Conference (http://jessicaywinston.blogspot.com/2018/10/guided-math.html) and it changed my life!  Included in the registration was the Guided Math Grade 2 Unit 4 Kit. Fast forward to February and I'm finally starting to plan for my regrouping unit when I remembered the kit, I hadn't even opened it yet... and when I did, it was magical! (see video from website below)


It included...
  • Teacher Guide w/19 Lessons (I only needed to teach 1-15 to cover my state standards)
  • Warm Up Poster
  • Card Sets (write and wipe)
  • Storage Tote
I had everything I needed to thoroughly teach this concept!

The strategies included were...

Mental Math- Add the Tens

Mental Math- Add/Subtract the Tens (blocks)

Mental Math- Adding on a 120 Chart

Regrouping Blocks- Build It Trade It

Column Regrouping

Regrouping Blocks- Trade Down to Subtract

Number Line Addition and Subtraction


My students have done an amazing job and based on formative and summative assessments, they truly understand the concept. Below are links to the materials I used during this unit:
One purchase I will be making this summer is the Guided Math Grade 2 Unit 3 Kit. We spend an extensive amount of time covering basic addition and subtraction strategies at the beginning of the year and I can see how this kit would be very beneficial. 

2 comments:

  1. Do you like blending the Moffat math with Tunstall's? Is that what you would recommend to a new 2nd grade teacher? Love you blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't say that I would recommend one over the other. If you are in a common core state then I'd say that Tunstall would be a great investment. My state standards are different and only a few units would align with my curriculum. But the same can be said for Moffatt Girls. I literally piece meal my lessons together from various sources.

      Delete