Image Map

Tuesday, July 18, 2017

Character Education


For as long as I can remember, I've focused on character education in my classroom. I'm passionate about cultivating leaders and all around good citizens. I enjoy integrating character education into my morning meetings, writing block and shared reading block. 

My favorite books that focus on life/leadership skills are by Julia Cook and Maria Dismondy. For the first couple of weeks in school I read a different book (see this post) during morning meeting and we discuss the theme and message. I also spotlight one life/leadership skill each month. We discuss the skill in depth during morning meeting. As I see students demonstrating the skill, I reward the with the correlating SMART(Brag)Tag.
  • September-Initiative 
  • October- Organization
  • November/December- Responsibility
  • January- Cooperation
  • February- Problem Solving
  • March- Integrity
  • April- Effort
  • May-Perseverance
  • June- Caring
While browsing Pinterest one evening I saw this Character Education Booklet. Rebecca, over at CreateTeachShare, created this wonderful resource and you can download it for FREE! I plan on using this booklet in September as we build our classroom community. Each page focuses on what the trait means and ways to show the it. I've included possible read alouds to teach each character trait below. 

Kindness-
Empathy-
Courage-
Integrity and Honesty-
Tolerance-
Compassion-

No comments:

Post a Comment